6 Jul 2009

Che Part One out on DVD now




Detailing the start of the Cuban revolution in the 1950’s when the Cuban dictator Batista was overthrown by Fidel Castro (Bichir) and Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara (Del Toro).

I was hoping that it would fill in some gaps in my knowledge of history from that time, as I have to confess I’m of the era when Che is more of an iconic poster image rather than knowing the details of what he actually did in history. Yes I’ve seen (and read) the Motor Cycle Diaries (2004), which documents Che’s early travels in South America I was hoping this film would add even more flesh to the bones, but sadly it didn’t.

The film looks great, and is well acted, (Del Toro totally dominates the screen as Che, and looks amazingly cool) but also it doesn’t really do anything, or go anywhere. I watched Che walk through the jungle, shooting, rebelling, deal with injustice treat people fairly and treat people medically. I saw Che in New York I saw Che in a jungle and that’s about it for me. For a film about a person who was so charismatic it seemed strange that there was no climax or focal point and also, and probably more disappointing for me, was I learnt nothing new about the man himself or even the real reasons behind the rebellion.

I’m hoping that Part Two delivers.

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Cast:
Benicio Del Toro – Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara
Demian Bichir – Fidel Castro

For the trailer click here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Nerve Curve Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template